8.22.2007

my new "toy"

I've spent quite a bit of time in the last few days playing with my new 'toy'. I learned to play the piano when I was only 4 or 5 years old. It's relaxing. It stretches my brain in ways that my normal daily activities do not. I find it fascinating that I can sit down at the keyboard and immediately play songs that I memorized over 10 years ago.

As someone who grew up playing the piano, I always had a very anti-keyboard mentality. However, this keyboard has shattered all my previous keyboard prejudices. Would I rather play on a Steinway? Yes, of course. But this keyboard feels and sounds just like a piano. The weighted keys simulate the feel of a real piano and I am constantly amazed at the quality of the sound.

A funny story about when I purchased it. The guy at the store was asking me what type of music I was 'into'. When I replied, 'classical', he looked at me as if I was an alien. I guess he was expecting me to say I bought it to play in an Indie Rock band or something. So Seattle...

0 comments: